Michigan Townhalls

District Atlas
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
Do you support the decommissioning of the Enbridge Line 5 pipeline?

Yes, I do support decommissioning that line. There shouldn't be any oil pipelines jeopardizing the Great Lakes. Even with a 99.999% success rate, there's still a risk over a given amount of time that there will be a spill. This is how the law of averages works, it going to happen eventually. It's never going to be 100%.

We have to protect the Great Lakes. If we do not protect the Great Lakes, if we allow a disaster to happen, it will destroy Michigan's economy. We can say goodbye to tourism campaigns, we can say goodbye to tourism to adjourning lakes. It's essential that we do this. We're not even really getting any benefits to the state, it's helping Canada. Let's be smart about this.
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
Ms. Theis, again, do you support the decommissioning of the Enbridge Line 5 pipeline, and explain your answer.

I think that we absolutely need to focus on protecting the Great Lakes, but I think there are ways to do that and still have the line. These Great Lakes represent 80% of the world's surface fresh waters, so you're right they are absolutely important, but there's more to be said than that. The current pipeline obviously needs significant work to maintain the standards that we desire for the safety that is necessary, but there are solutions that we can put in place that will actually help to solve that problem without creating new ones.

We need to consider that there are residents up in the U.P., some of the poorest among the state residents, we're going to desperately increase their rate, their energy rates, if we do this. They're on fixed incomes, we can't do that to them. So what we could do instead is to undo the span, and then put those in a trench, in a protected trench, so we're not going to have tanker spills there that we've had an issue with before. If we do those things, we're going to create protections, and we're actually going to be able to support our citizens as well.