Michigan Townhalls

District Atlas
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
What is your best proposal to fund Michigan roads?

We need to add tolls, we need tolls coming in Michigan, and there's technology out there for high speed cameras that can tap the license plates, you even don't need to slow down. You can automate billing, you don't need a bunch of employees trying to push paper to collect these funds, we also automate that, we have the technology there. As long as it doesn't slow traffic down, and the tolls are not unreasonably high, it's going to generate a lot of revenue.

Another thing we can do is, looking at MDOT they have these signs up that say how many people have died, how much time is delayed. Google maps already shows that information, what we can do is to leverage those signs for advertising revenue. That way there's value for businesses, if we want to do that we have a network of signs. Instead of raising fees or raising taxes, have a market solution on funding the roads. We need to start looking at other sources of revenue.
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
What is your best proposal to fund Michigan roads?

So when I knock on doors this is the first thing that I hear, right next to auto insurance rates. We're spending 5 billion dollars this year, to put that in context that's a whole billion and a half over what we were spending in 2010 when I first got there into office. Toll roads are an interesting idea except they are prohibited for anything that has had federal funding associated with it, which is almost all of our main lines. So that rules that possibility out.

But during the last decade we didn't take care of our infrastructure needs. Because we ignored it for so long, it's going to take a while to get it fixed. There are manpower problems and there are logistic problems. We need people trained to actually fix the roads and those are career tech opportunities. We have logistic issues, people need to be able to travel to and from work, and to and from homes, so there's coordination that's required with that. All of those things take time, we can't fix them overnight, but we're working very hard to do so. If you travel it's really hard to go anywhere without seeing orange barrels. We need better quality, we need to enforce the road warranties, and we actually need to revisit the funding formula PA 51, Livingston loses on that, but that the highest trouble [?] that I'm looking at.