Michigan Townhalls

District Atlas
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
Considering the condition of the Pleasant Valley [?] Road bridge over I-96, what do you propose to ensure Michigan drivers' safety?

With infrastructure things in general, we're not doing enough to protect our bridges. We need to be smarter about the materials that we're using, and building techniques. So if I use that as an example, we have to start using higher quality materials that last longer. We have to stop using salt, which is corrosive to concrete, it doesn't make sense. There are other materials like calcium magnesium acetate that's being used as a de-icing agent that is a little bit more expensive than salt, but in the long run you're not going to damage our infrastructure. And we have to be smarter about how we're building.
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
Ms. Theis, considering the condition of the bridge over I-96, what do you propose to ensure Michigan drivers' safety?

This is where we agree. I absolutely believe, as I have already said, that we need to use better materials on these roads. These are things that are actually being reviewed by MDOT as they go through. When the bridge was hit by a crane, it was taken down. Within 24 hours they check the viability of the bridge before they allow it to continue. When it is no longer safe they take it down and we end up replacing it as soon as we can. They have an infrastructure improvement plan, I can check and see what's on that plan, I haven't checked but I will.