Michigan Townhalls

District Atlas
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
Would you support an independent commission drafting congressional and state legislative district lines?

That would be a 'hell yes'. That needs to happen, and if it doesn't happen people need to be upset about that. Because we cannot continue our democracy with gerrymandered districts drawn by the people that then benefit. It becomes a situation where politicians are choosing voters, based on geography, and not voters choosing politicians. It's extremely dangerous and we need to ensure the survival of our democracy by having this. We have juries that are randomly selected and people are able to decide the fate of peoples' lives, I think they can decide what a box looks like on a geographical map.
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
Would you support an independent commission drafting congressional and state legislative district lines, and explain your answer.

The commission that is being proposed is before the courts right now, we'll see whether or not it goes through. But it's an interesting concept, if you really could create an independent commission. It calls for Republicans, for Democrats, for Independents, except we don't register in this state so how do you know whether or not they really are that? They have to have not been involved in politics for the previous 6 years, so they can't have been a precinct delegate, they can't have donated, they can't have been active on a campaign, and nobody they lived with or related to in their immediate family could be doing any of those things.

So it's an interesting concept, if you really could create a scenario where people were independent, but I don't believe that this creates that scenario. It's impossible to police, I don't know how you would end up figuring out whether or not you really are independent, so I have problems with the current ballot question that comes before us. I will be voting no. But again, if it passes, it's the law.