Michigan Townhalls

District Atlas
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
What is your proposal for increasing oversight and accountability for taxpayer dollars in charter schools?

I don't support charter schools. I think that money is being siphoned away from public schools. You can't run a school like a business, it's not how education works. The student is not in this customer-business relationship. If you want kids to learn they have to work hard. If you want easy 4.0s they're going to be happy, the parents are going to be happy, and away we go with no real value.

I just don't support charter schools, I do support school choice, private schools, parochial schools, having ways to have tax exceptions to help people home schooling. People need help there as well. Education needs to be prioritized, and public education needs to be public. We can't have a hybrid approach, it's a public good.
A 7/12/2018 League of Women Voters Candidate Forum question for all Republican candidates:
What is your proposal for increasing oversight and accountability for taxpayer dollars in charter schools?

That makes the assumption that they don't have oversight already. Opponents of school choice believe the government, not the parents, should be the ones deciding where the child goes to school. I think that's fundamentally wrong, I think the parents should be able to make that choice. I believe that the people who are the most harmed by that not being available are the poor, because they don't have the choice to pay what it would cost to take kids to a private school.

I don't think there's anything special about the not-for-profit nature of an education system. I think in fact the profit motive is a much higher drive, but the teachers aren't working for free, the teachers are actually working to get paid as well. But the charter schools are actually showing, after they've been in there for a couple of years, they show higher results, so the claims that they have a lesser result is false on its face.