Michigan Townhalls

District Overview
What are your thoughts on tying public school teacher compensation to student standardized test scores?

My parents were teachers for over 30 years.

My mom taught remedial reading for several years in an elementary school. She had some students who came to school in the winter in a t-shirt and light jacket. Students who came hungry. Students who were worried about younger siblings at home who were unsupervised.

How does a second grader learn when she is hungry? When you are cold, do you find it difficult to concentrate?

Public school teachers have to be responsible for approximately 25 children with 25 different home situations. They have to be teachers, psychiatrists, social workers, disciplinarians, nurses, and parents. Teachers perform all these roles without enough funding and with the threat of their jobs in the balance.

Basing school funding and teacher salaries on the performance of children on standardized tests is not logical. If children are performing below expectations, let’s help them in meaningful ways such as with food, social services, healthcare, and a safe environment. In other words, let’s solve the underlying social problems holding these children back.

I believe that this tactic of tying salaries to student performance is one more way to undermine our public schools, teachers, and students. To sabotage them and then blame their failure on the wrong cause. We can and should do better.

This post is a mirror of a Q&A (link) from the MI HD-71 Voter Forum Facebook Group.
What are your thoughts on tying public school teacher compensation to student standardized test scores?

Before I answer this question I do have a DISCLAIMER, I did not go to public school from 7th to 12th grade. I want to tell you this now for context but also I didn’t want someone to compare me to Betsy Devos or something.

So my answer to this question is no. I think this will especially negatively effect schools in poorer areas where funding is a problem (as well as other things) that can effect a child’s performance in school (family issues, poverty, gang violence, etc).

This post is a mirror of a Q&A (link) from the MI HD-71 Voter Forum Facebook Group.