Michigan Townhalls

District Overview
A question from a HD-71 voter affiliated with the Democratic party:
House Bill 5550, introduced by State Rep. Adam Zemke, D-Ann Arbor, will "prohibit mental health professionals from engaging in efforts to change the sexual orientation and gender identity of a minor." Would you support this bill?

This is a mirror of a Q&A (link) posted at the MI HD-71 Voter Forum.
Last edited by VoterForums admin on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
House Bill 5550, introduced by State Rep. Adam Zemke, D-Ann Arbor, will "prohibit mental health professionals from engaging in efforts to change the sexual orientation and gender identity of a minor." Would you support this bill?

Absolutely. Conversion therapy is simply a polite way of talking about brainwashing, bullying, torture, and other coercive behavior that has no place in a free country.

I believe that civil rights are not diminished by their extension to others. My rights are not lessened by rights given to others. In fact, when we level the playing field to allow everyone the same basic rights, we all benefit.

This post is a mirror of a Q&A (link) from the MI HD-71 Voter Forum Facebook Group.

Knowing that there are genetic ties on homosexuality (not that there is a "gay" gene but instead that its how your sexual genes interact with each other is what determines sexual orientation) I have talked to people and read stories about the permanent psychological damage done to patients and it's even led some people to suicide. And don't forget the extremely poor success rate that gay conversion therapy has.

I would pass a bill that would immediately shut down conversion therapy centers/camps, and would fine/jail time groups that would secretly have those therapies, and would legally put in question the custody status of those parents who put their children in those therapies.

Link to ABC news feature "Gay teen describes traumatizing experiences at gay conversation camps": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJrl5U-Sr8U&feature=youtu.be